Sunday, June 1, 2014

Breakfast Idea #1: The Perfect Parfait

Hooray! It's almost summertime! But wait --- there's still school... With finals right around the corner, you gotta have those fueling and energizing breakfasts ready-to-go! Once your brain has reached its full studying capacity, prepare yourself a nice quick healthy breakfast for yourself each night before your good-night's sleep. Pop them into the fridge and once night ticks into morning, grab your power meal and head out the door to conquer your exams! Here is the first breakfast suggestion: a fruit, yogurt, and granola parfait!
Prep Time: 5-10 mins
Serves: 1
What you will need:
  • 1/2-3/4 cup granola of your choice
  • 1/2 cup your favorite berries/fruits
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
    • If you only have plain yogurt and you want flavor:
      • 1/2 tsp regular sugar
      • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Here are the dry ingredients: I have two types of granola. The middle one is a bowl of lightly sweetened granola clusters from Trader Joe's, and the one on the right is a bowl of homemade almond granola from La Boulange. The last bowl is the most colorful part of the concoction: berries! I have some blueberries and blackberries, but you can substitute whatever you desire.
 La Boulange granola:
 Trader Joe's granola:
 Berry medley:
 Here are my sweeteners in a jar. Left: Bonne Maman strawberry preserves from Whole Foods (which are my substitute for fresh strawberries because I'm out!), and Steeve's Bees wildflower honey, which I will be adding to my yogurt for sweetness.
 First I have 1 cup of plain yogurt in a bowl.
 I added 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract to give it a hint of vanilla.
 I drizzled about 3/4 teaspoon of honey and stirred it in until it was all one smooth creamy mixture.
Advice: if it is not sweet enough yet for you, try adding 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
 I layered the yogurt, granola, and fruits into the jar, and then topped it off with some leftover berries and strawberry preserves, giving it a beautiful finishing touch.
 Voila! Your perfect parfait is ready to get you through your first final!
Good luck and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment